John:
You said something recently to the effect that you had noticed a shift from focus on fee-and-dividend, to a focus more on philosophical basis of the alternative paradigm. I don't remember exactly how you put it, but, if you remember, or if I can find it, I would like to lean in to that more recent emphasis or approach. I am running out of printed essays and it would be nice to print some substantially better essays that we could write collaboratively.
GPT:
Yes. I think that is a very productive direction, and I do remember the substance of what I said.
The shift I was noticing was roughly this:
You have been developing a policy proposal, but underneath it you have actually been developing an alternative way of thinking about ownership, markets, environmental limits, and democracy.
The fee-and-dividend mechanism is almost the consequence of that deeper framework.
The formulation I think is most worth leaning into is:
Natural wealth is jointly owned. Human beings may create private wealth through their labor, ingenuity, and cooperation, but they do not create the natural wealth upon which those activities depend. Therefore, a just economic system should distinguish wealth created by people from wealth appropriated from the common inheritance.
From there, several things follow.
- Truth: prices should tell the truth about what economic activity costs—including the use or degradation of things supplied by nature.
- Fairness: because natural wealth isn't created by particular individuals, its economic value should ultimately benefit everyone rather than whoever happens to appropriate it first.
- Democracy: the people who jointly own the natural world have a legitimate role in determining how much of it may be consumed, degraded, or transformed.
- Markets: markets can remain extremely useful, but they work better when prices don't conceal the appropriation of common wealth.
- Private property: recognizing common ownership of natural wealth can actually provide a stronger philosophical foundation for private property, because it clarifies what legitimately becomes private property in the first place.
- Environmental policy: pollution fees, extraction fees, habitat fees, etc. aren't arbitrary government interventions. They are mechanisms for making the underlying ownership relationship real.
- Dividend: distributing the proceeds isn't primarily a welfare program. It is the return to each person of his or her equal share of the value of something jointly owned.
That last distinction may be particularly important for the essays. “Fee-and-dividend” sounds like a particular environmental policy. “Popular ownership of natural wealth” sounds like a theory of political economy. The latter can encompass the former while also explaining why it is justified.
And your exchange today illustrates why I think this philosophical approach may be more powerful than the earlier policy-centered presentation. The question isn't merely “Would a pollution fee work?” It is:
“Who owns the natural wealth that economic activity consumes?”
Once that question is taken seriously, a surprising number of familiar assumptions become questionable.
For example, someone who says, “I don't believe in a shared right to natural wealth because some people are dishonest,” is implicitly accepting a strange alternative: that because some people might abuse common ownership, nobody should have a recognized claim to the common inheritance. Your response gets at the deeper problem: that arrangement doesn't eliminate appropriation; it simply leaves appropriation available to whoever can get away with it.
I think we could make a much better set of essays
Rather than printing another collection of essays that each explain one policy mechanism, I'd be inclined to build a small philosophical sequence in which each essay establishes something that the next essay takes for granted.
Something like:
1. The Natural Wealth We Did Not Create
Start with the basic distinction between human-created wealth and natural wealth. Ask what follows morally from the fact that nobody created the atmosphere, mineral deposits, ecosystems, fertile soil, oceans, etc.
2. Why Private Property Needs a Commons
This could develop the idea you just raised. Private property doesn't necessarily conflict with common ownership of nature. In fact, recognizing a common inheritance may be necessary to distinguish legitimate private acquisition from appropriation.
3. The Honest Price
Develop Truth as an economic principle. If production imposes costs on other people or consumes something jointly owned, a price that omits those costs isn't merely inefficient—it is economically dishonest.
4. The People's Right to Set the Limits
This is where your deliberative-survey idea becomes much more interesting. Instead of beginning with “How do we regulate pollution?”, begin with “Who has the authority to decide how much of our common inheritance may be consumed?”
5. Markets After the Commons Is Recognized
Show that your proposal isn't fundamentally anti-market. Quite the opposite: once common wealth is properly accounted for, markets become a mechanism for discovering which private uses of that wealth people value most.
6. The Return of Natural Wealth
Only here would the dividend receive its full philosophical treatment. It isn't charity, redistribution of someone else's earnings, or a government benefit. It is the distribution of the economic value of jointly owned natural assets.
7. Democracy Without a Centralized World Government
Then your global-governance idea becomes the culmination rather than the starting point: how can people collectively establish environmental limits without requiring a world government?
That sequence would let us derive the machinery from the philosophy, rather than repeatedly defending the machinery on its own terms.
And I think there's an even deeper theme available: your proposed institutions are attempts to make abstract moral relationships visible and operational.
“Everyone owns natural wealth” is an abstraction.
The fee makes the ownership visible in a transaction.
The dividend makes the equal ownership visible in people's accounts.
The environmental limit makes the collective right visible in the quantity of permitted impact.
The deliberative survey makes the people's role in determining that limit visible.
And the market continues to let individuals decide what they themselves value.
That gives us a potentially much more coherent book than “Here are some environmental policies I think would work.”
It becomes something closer to:
What would an economy look like if we actually built its institutions around Truth, Fairness, and the equal ownership of the natural world?
I think that is the essay project worth putting your remaining paper behind.
No comments:
Post a Comment